About me

My photo
I am many things to many different people. I have few titles and fewer awards but I am complete in all that I have accomplished. My most precious of all gifts does not belong to me yet I love as if. You may know me, but you'll never really know me because I cannot be anything more than what you want to see even though I am everything I need to be.

Jan 1, 2009

so many turkeys, so many answers

so my neighbor asks me, one day last summer, if i've seen the turkeys yet this year. there is a family of them, of couple families that wonder about our "literally" 20 acre woods (the cuddly wuddly fluffed with stuff pooh critter is not the only one who lives near 20 acres ***i never could remember that song....or the tiggers bounce tune....hmmm***).

i say "not yet" and he continues by claiming they nest in the trees and he's found their nest.

it's winter now and i've shared this information with any wiling and non-willing listener, when the subject of turkeys came up, of course, ever since. i get excited when i learn something new. anything new. okay, not anything...just good anything, especially regarding my backyard furry and feathery frenz.



(a challenge)

then, after sharing my new found story one more time, i get a quizzical look...from an elderly woman who is worldly and wisest of wisest persons (whom i just KNEW would be particullary interested in my new bit of wildlife factuals). a challenge. no one has challenged my story to date. turkeys nest in trees. the question: "how do the babies get down?". hmmm. how DO the little birdlets get down from the tree without breaking their bum? i don't know. didn't have an answer for that one. no matter. i'm satisfied with my story as such. besides, he found the nest. he saw it with his own eyes. in our neck of the woods. it's gotta be right. right?

(i learn the truth)

she continues: 'according to some "ol timers" turkeys don't "nest" in the trees. they sleep in the trees. they nest or lay eggs on the ground'.

(choice of words...."nest", "sleep"?)

i'm still curious so i take it to the number one source of all information, all truths, non-questionable and 100% factual explanations and "for sures"...

google!

the answer: turkeys "nest" on the ground, they sleep in trees.

google...keeping stories on the up and up for years to come